Conversations on more than 50 actions to expand freedom in the United States
Senator Ted Cruz released a report entitled The Legal Limit Report No. 5. It lists 20 court cases the Obama Administration has brought to the Supreme Court which were all unanimously rejected.
The cases were all in an attempt to take away citizen’s rights in alarming ways. Cruz said:
The Obama Administration’s view of federal power is so extreme that since President Obama took office in January 2009, the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously rejected DOJ’s arguments for additional federal power twenty times in cases involving a federal party.
He noted the Obama Administration’s losing rate is high and it has been dramatically escalated in the last five years as they try to take more and more citizen rights away.
The following are some examples of what the federal government would have the power to do if they won in court:
– Attach GPS’s to citizen’s vehicles to monitor his or her movements, without having cause to believe that they committed a crime (United States v. Jones)
– Deprive landowner’s their right to challenge potential government fines and take away their ability to have a hearing to challenge the fines (Sackett v. EPA)
– Interfere with a church’s ability to select its own ministers (Hosanna-Tabor Evangelical Lutheran Church & School v. EEOC)
– Override state law through presidential fiat (Arizona v. United States)
– Destroy private property without just compensation (Arkansas Fish & Game Commission v. United States)
– Impose double income taxation (PPL Corp v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue)
– Substantially expand federal criminal law (Sekhar v. United States)
The list goes on and on.
You can read the full report here: Cruz.Report